JOURNAL COVER PAGE
 
 
 
 
VOLUME 7, ISSUE 1
January-March 2018
 
Abstract

A Study on Assessment of Liver Functions among Patients with Rat Killer Paste Poisoning

Suganthi R 1, Manoj J 2

1Senior Resident,2Junior Resident in Govt Thiruvarur Medical college

ABSTRACT

BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES: Yellow phosphorous, a toxic rodenticide which is readily and widely used as rodenticide. Many times, ingestion of yellow phosphorous either intentionally or accidentally results in mortality due to its hepatotoxic property. Thus this study was done to assess the acute liver injury that occurs secondary to rat killer paste poisoning. METHODS: This observational study was conducted at Thiruvarur medical college, Thiruvarur. Total of 60 patients, who presented with history of ingesting rat killer paste during the study period of January 2016 to July 2016 were included in the study. After taking informed consent, complete history was taken and Liver Function Test (LFT) were done on day 1, day 3 and day 5 for who got admitted with history of ingesting rat killer paste. RESULTS: Among the 60 patients, 22(36.7%) patients were died and the rest 38(63.3%) patients were discharged. On day 1 of liver function test, the bilirubin and liver enzymes were elevated nut on subsequent assessment of liver function on day 3 and day 5, all parameters like bilirubin, SGOT, SGPT, PT and INR were improved comparatively on day 3 and day 5 than day 1, which was also found to be statistically significant. CONCLUSION: Acute yellow phosphorus poisoning can result in impairment of liver function test which is comparably highly altered during first stage of intoxication and subsequently better during second and third stage and that could be due to supportive treatment.

Keywords: Rat Killer Paste, Yellow Phosphorous, Liver Function Test


[Full Text Article]  
Twitter Links